THE GREAT INDOORS
With Narelle Melnick
THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME
We needn't always go to great lengths in search of a quiet repose. Sometimes the most profound relaxation is found right at home. The Sunday wardrobe is built of quiet luxuries and private moments of true, lasting comfort. The Sunday lifestyle is one of relaxed and easy living; one that starts from within and reflects across time and place - from our homes to our wardrobes.
The Sunday Questionnaire
AUSSIE-BORN BEAUTY NARELLE SPLITS HER TIME AS A MODEL AND BIRTH DOULA. SHE LIVES IN TOPANGA CANYON WITH HER HUSBAND, SON, AND BABY ON THE WAY.
3 Favorite cities and what you like to do there ?
- I'd say my old hometown, Melbourne has to be considered a favorite. My dad lives near a place called the Mornington Peninsula where there are endless beaches; bay and surf. You cannot get a bad coffee in Melbourne! Incredible restaurants, vineyards and wildlife. One of my favorite spots to visit down there is the Peninsula Hot Springs. I also love taking my son on a gorgeous old (now scenic) steam train called Puffing Billy! Dorky goodness!!
- I lived in NYC for 12 years so it feels like home when ever I go back. It seems like you are bouncing off energy everywhere you walk in NYC. I love that you can just flounce around and run into an old friend, wander into a gallery, a show, a great restaurant. Oh and I always seek out my old and favorite yoga teachers there. That's what has always kept me grounded in that magnificently lively city.
- Finally, I'll say my now hometown Topanga Canyon. I've lived in a million cities and I could love lots of them for such varied reasons, but home is where the heart is and creating family with my beautiful husband, our 3yr old son our Aussie Shepherd puppy... and due with my 2nd baby next week... Throws Topanga into my top 3. I love walking barefoot, endless hiking, gardening, the lovely community... Home style goodness! And the accessibility to the awesomeness of the desert or a cool little Santa Barbara road trip gives it double bonus points.
Favorite hotels and where they are ?
- We just took a road trip to the Biltmore in Santa Barbara. It was pure heaven. An hour and a half away and it felt like we were in Hawaii; We felt so looked after and so charmed. GREAT restaurants and easy times.
- The Carlina in Biarritz. Sandy sheets and all... It's simply an awesome location on a rugged beach and so many incredible local restaurants.
- Villa Jacaranda in Varkala, India. Sweet, sweet spot. We were immaculately cared for and fed delicious home cooked southern Indian food. This place just ozzes local charm and character.
Top 3 movies of all time?
- Cinema Paradiso
Favorite smell(s) and what they remind you of.
Oh gosh that's hard. I'm obsessed with essential oils. I'm going to say Lavender simply makes me instantly happy and calm! ClarySage reminds me of my sons birth and Frankincense reminds me of India.